Ready to help us transform healthcare? Bring your true colors to blue.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts believes that our health is inextricably linked to the health of our environment. As a company, we strive to find new ways to reduce our environmental impact, catalyze environmental stewardship throughout the health system, and combat environmental contributors to illness and chronic disease as well as environmental injustices in our community, all while delivering cost savings and business value.
Following the recent redesign of our corporate sustainability strategy, Green@Blue, and our 2022 commitment to achieve carbon neutral and zero waste operations by 2030, BCBSMA seeks a Director of Climate and Health Resilience. The successful candidate will have a positive record of creating and implementing environmental sustainability programs in a large corporate environment. Reporting to the Vice President of Corporate Citizenship & Public Affairs, managing a direct report (ESG/Sustainability Analyst) and working with a team of shared staff, this role is accountable for executing on the strategy, measurement and day-to-day management of a company-wide environmental sustainability program that includes (1) reducing our environmental impact (through the pursuit of our 2030 climate action goals), (2) catalyzing environmental justice in the communities we serve (through partnership and service to our not-for-profit environmental just partners), and (3) education and empowerment of our stakeholders (through climate and health thought leadership, internal and external presentations, and collaboration with our member accounts). In addition, we are growing our overall ESG strategy and reporting capabilities and this role will be a key part of this work. Previous experience with ESG reporting is preferred.
In addition, the Director will contribute to the execution of the companyâs overall Corporate Citizenship strategy (the pursuit of health justice through the advancement of environmental justice, food justice and racial justice) alongside leaders of its Civic Engagement, Community Investment and Public Affairs programs, represent the department on important cross-departmental strategy teams, and contribute to the companyâs annual volunteer Service Day. The Director will also represent BCBSMA in external thought leadership opportunities, leverage sustainability accomplishments to build brand equity with consumers, work to help achieve the company's strategic objectives for health equity and identify community programs and partnerships that advance environmental health. The role will also contribute to local and national advocacy efforts that address critical environmental health issues for the company.
- Lead the execution of our ambitious corporate sustainability strategy and 2030 climate action goals, closely monitor, and communicate goal progress
- Lead the implementation and utilization of our new Carbon Measurement and Accounting Platform (CMAP) Salesforce Net Zero Cloud to enhance the precision of scope 1 â 3 carbon emissions measurement
- Collaborate with company-wide leaders on development of ESG strategy and reporting capabilities and manage the execution of ongoing ESG reporting
- Work with our real estate team and energy providers to reduce scope 1 and 2 carbon emissions
- Work with our suppliers and providers to reduce scope 3 carbon emissions
- Develop and manage all other company-wide operational and material sustainability areas including but not limited to: waste management and recycling, paper usage, water conservation, transportation, green buildings, chemical reduction and sustainable food services
- Measure the environmental sustainability practices of all potential new vendors through review and scoring of RFPs
- Provide assistance to our sales team in communicating our companyâs commitment to environmental health
- Promptly respond to existing and new customer inquiries regarding or environmental sustainability strategy and carbon emissions
- Work with our Risk and Compliance team to monitor material risk to company operationâs and health care system from climate change related impacts like extreme storms and sea-level rise
- Continue to increase positive overall business savings from advancement of sustainable practices across business areas
- Create and implement marketing and educational programs that inspire our associates to embrace environmental sustainability practices and behaviors. This includes creative engagement with our in-person, hybrid, and remote work force
- Co-manage shared project manager who will help implement various sustainability and cross-functional programs and initiatives
- Direct and supervise ESG/Sustainability Analyst to achieve sustainability and other corporate goals
- Supervise relevant external consultants when needs arise
- Collaborate with sustainability focused Blues across our network on best practice sharing and development.
- Foster and grow programs that support community partnerships promoting environmental justice and public health
- Work in collaboration with other department leaders to advance Corporate Citizenship strategy focused on Health Justice, including an Environmental Justice focus area;
- Develop partnerships with community members, organizations, academia and other institutions to further establish the companyâs sustainability and corporate citizenship programs;
- Act as the official company sustainability and environmental health subject matter expert and representative to media, outside agencies and the community;
- Routinely brief, advise and collaborate with senior leaders including the CEO, regarding sustainability and environmental health programs and policies.
- Successful record of developing and implementing both environmental sustainability and environmental health programs in a large corporate environment;
- Knowledge of and experience with carbon measurement and sustainability reporting frameworks such as CDP, GRI, TCFD, SASB, ISSB or other accepted standardized reporting systems
- A strong understanding of corporate environmental sustainability and environmental health issues and trends;
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills; project planning skills/ability to work within deadlines and prioritize multiple projects and assignments;
- Strong influencing, motivating and empathy skills, including buy-in and consensus building among all levels of the organization, including senior executives;
- Strong strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- High degree of initiative as well as ability to act as a team player;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present to and communicate with a wide variety of internal and external audiences, including senior management and in public forums, communications and social media;
- Superb interpersonal skills, including sense of humor and ability to communicate with poise, professionalism, and discretion
- Exceptional strategic thinking and problem solving, including a track record of predicting and planning for the future in a dynamic environment;
- BA/BS required; Masterâs Degree strongly preferred (ideal fields of study include environmental science, environmental studies, public health (environmental health) economics, or business)
- Minimum of 10 years of experience within the field of corporate social responsibility/environmental sustainability; including project management, sustainability goal execution and measurement, and sustainability reporting
Minimum Education Requirements
High school degree or equivalent required unless otherwise noted above
Salary Range: $142,100.00 - $173,700.00
The job posting range is the lowest to highest salary we in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employeeâs pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, performance, shift, travel requirements, sales or revenue-based metrics, and business or organizational needs and affordability.
This job is also eligible for variable pay.
We offer comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), and a suite of well-being benefits to eligible employees.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, or any other form of compensation that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Companyâs sole discretion, consistent with the law.
WHY Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA?
We understand that the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can prevent amazing candidates coming our way, so please donât hesitate to apply. Weâd love to hear from you. You might be just what we need for this role or possibly another one at Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. We encourage you to bring us your true colors, , your perspectives, and your experiences. Itâs in our differences that we will remain relentless in our pursuit to transform healthcare for ALL.
As an employer, we are committed to investing in your development and providing the necessary resources to enable your success. Learn how we are dedicated to creating an inclusive and rewarding workplace that promotes excellence and provides opportunities for employees to forge their unique career path by visiting our Company Culture page. If this sounds like something youâd like to be a part of, weâd love to hear from you. You can also join our Talent Community to stay âin the knowâ on all things Blue.
At Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, we believe in wellness and that work/life balance is a key part of associate wellbeing. We provide a flexible hybrid work model in which roles are designated as resident (on site 4-5 days/week), mobile (on site 1-3 days/week), or eworker (on site 0-3 days/month).