Our Assurance Governance Services team works with our clients' management teams and their boards to help advise on the continual journey of maturing and enhancing their governance framework, policies and practices. With the increased focus on board and director accountability and the growing board agenda we advise on leading practices, trends and hot topics and we are doing our part to help advance good governance practices. The Governance Services team provides our clients a broad range of educational and advisory services focused on today's most pressing needs. A career in our Governance Services team and more broadly in our Audit & Assurance practice, will provide you with the opportunity to provide high-value governance services to a range of companies from private, emerging growth companies to private, investor backed companies to some of the world's largest companies in a variety of industries.
Our team is seeking a motivated Manager who is interested in deepening their knowledge about governance practices, leading governance client engagements and education sessions, being involved in governance related research projects, engaging in the marketplace with investors, attorneys, academia and others influencing the space and providing opportunities that enhance our governance program.
With support from leadership & a newly defined strategy in 2023, the team is a part our Audit & Assurance business. The team is organized around leadership areas including: Client service, Private Equity & Pre-IPO, Audit Committee focus, and Investor Engagement (including Environmental Social and Governance ("ESG")). Respective managers will collaborate with senior managers that lead each of these six leadership areas to serve key stakeholders from across the Firm to define target clients and work with account teams to support go-to-market strategies.
The team is closely aligned with Deloitte's Center for Board Effectiveness, working together on research and publications, our board and committee programming and marketplace events. We also work across Deloitte and collaborate with our Risk & Financial Advisory, Consulting and Tax businesses on a number of client-related activities as well as multiple A&A service lines, including Audit, Accounting and Reporting Advisory Services ("ARA"), ESG, Blockchain, Algorithm/AI, Professional Practices Network, SEC services and Regulatory Affairs.
Work you'll do
As a Governance Manager, you will have exposure to many areas of our team's responsibilities, specifically around the six leadership areas mentioned above, which include primarily focusing on client service activities while also providing client teams support on governance-related matters, from one-off inquiries, board and management education sessions, Board-level labs, research and other client governance engagements. You will have exposure to other areas of the team's responsibilities while primarily focusing on the following activities:
- Client Service:
- Define client targets and work with account teams to support go to market strategy
- Advise clients on maturing their governance processes and framework
- Participate in Board and Audit Committee client education sessions
- Drive client governance engagements
- Contribute to client meetings focused on the requirements and leading practices with regard to IPO and SPAC Governance
- Proactive outreach to our most significant clients and client teams focusing on enhancing client governance experiences and governance offerings that could be most valuable
- Audit Committee ("AC") Focus:
- Develop the AC targeting strategy across segments
- Work on AC-specific programming (experiences such as roundtables, labs for audit committees, audit committee chairs, transitioning Lead Client Service Partners and new and existing audit engagement teams and their clients)
- Investor Engagement (including ESG):
- Engage with Institutional and other Investors
- Identify investor related emerging issues across clients
- Participate in client meetings surrounding the board's role in ESG, and work closely with the ESG team to deliver the "G"
- Review, disseminate and discuss client proxy advisory reports with client teams
- Analyze Activist Insight opportunities and manage client emails and discussions
- Manage and contribute to governance-related thought leadership, which includes Audit Committee Brief, proxy analysis, Audit Committee Resource Guide, and Audit Committee Survey
- Participate in Deloitte-hosted as well third-party governance conferences (Board Readiness Programs, Board Symposium and Audit Committee Symposium, Society for Corporate Governance, Council of Institutional Investors and the National Association of Corporate Directors, etc.)
- The team meets regularly to evaluate our complement of projects and discuss improvements - raising the bar on existing offerings or developing and launching new offerings. The position offers opportunities to:
- Become highly knowledgeable about board and committee governance and become a sought-after Subject Matter Resource
- Become highly knowledgeable about a range of board related agenda topics, including, strategy, risk, talent, culture, ESG, succession planning and governance, etc...
- Enhance your external network of board members and other influencers (including investors, academia and others) in the governance arena
- Gain visibility to Audit & Assurance leadership, other national office leaders, our Office of the Chair group, and a range or Partners, Principals and Managing Directors
- Deepen your understanding of the US Audit & Assurance practice and strategy
- Enhance your professional development, executive presence, project management, communication, analytical, and presentation skills
- Serve as a national resource for Lead Client Partners, Advisory ,Partners, other client service partners, and engagement teams
- Develop and share tools, information, and leading practices to help engagement teams deliver quality and value to their clients
- Gain important perspective regarding the interactions of our senior partners with client management and audit committees, as well as the nuances of serving large, multinational corporations
- Enhance your national network of peers and leaders
Our culture is collaborative and encourages team members to take initiative and seek on-the-job learning opportunities. Our audit support professionals are committed to excellence and to enhancing the trust of the investing public and capital markets. Quality is our top priority, and by focusing on innovation, we continue to raise the bar of quality and deliver greater value to our clients. Learn more about Deloitte Audit.
- 5+ years of public accounting, governance or related experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field
- Ability to manage large recurring projects, as well as respond to real-time, sensitive requests and projects from a variety of constituencies including leadership and partners in the field
- Strong interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), organizational and presentation skills
- Strong service orientation and commitment to excellence
- Strong analytical skills, problem/issue identification and resolution skills, and project management capabilities
- High degree of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality
- Ability to determine needs, organize work, and achieve results without supervision
- Self-motivated and able to work on a geographically dispersed team
- Flexibility and adaptability in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong project management skills
- Strong executive presence and service orientation
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work with multiple teams concurrently, while communicating with professionals at various levels in a predominantly virtual environment
- Ability to travel up to 30%, on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve
- Limited immigration sponsorship may be available
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification
- NACD Governance Fellow certification
- Society for Corporate Governance Certification
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Deloitte, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $80,920 to $180.960.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.