we are committed to supporting our private markets investor clients as they look to decarbonize their portfolio companies and invest in the transition to a low carbon economy. Our private markets Decarbonization & Energy Transition Investing Advisory
team is currently going through a period of significant growth in the market while also servicing an existing large base private equity and infrastructure investor clients. Consultants in the Decarbonization & Energy Transition Investing Advisory team work on a wide range of interesting strategic and operational decarbonization and target setting projects at portfolio company level for private markets investor clients. This person will partner across ERM’s industry teams and lines of business to develop innovative decarbonization solutions that meet the needs of both portfolio companies and General Partner goals, investment outcomes and programs.
This is a Consulting Director
level opportunity for a mid-career leader who is looking to further their career with a global environmental leader that aims to lead the field in sustainability consulting.
The incoming Consulting Director will be expected to capitalize on relationships with existing clients and expanding that further through delivering projects and building relationships with new clients in the private markets investor space. As a Consulting Director, you will provide leadership that engages and motivates all levels of staff and contributes to the achievement of ERM’s delivery of decarbonization strategy development and implementation projects.
ERM has enduring values, which are fundamental to our business conduct. We are passionate about our people, their safety, well-being and development. ERMers take accountability, are client-focused, and collaborate with colleagues across geographies. If you share our values, believe in sustainability and are motivated by opportunities to shape, build and run a sustainability service team that makes a real impact to our private markets investor client’s businesses, ERM is the right place for you.
As a leader in your industry you have developed an in-depth knowledge of private equity and infrastructure investors and portfolio operations teams. You have experience leading strategic engagements at the C-suite level and partnering, guiding & educating senior management teams on interpreting and creating action plans around the development of GHG inventories, decarbonization roadmaps and setting credible net zero and science-based targets. You will have a deep understanding of energy efficiency measures, renewable energy procurement, low carbon solutions, solutions for the built environment, industrial decarbonization, and sustainable value chain initiatives. You have strong commercial acumen and an entrepreneurial mindset.
You have prior experience managing and successfully delivering decarbonization programs for mid-market companies and have an understanding of how those operational projects fit within private equity and infrastructure client’s decarbonization programs, targets, and broader investment processes as well as energy transition fund investor needs. You enjoy building, coaching, and mentoring collaborative teams as part of a large global business. This role will work across ERM and the firm’s climate functions which brings together senior consultants and executives across all climate and sustainability disciplines to deliver leading operating capabilities and insights to our clients’ portfolio companies. This individual will help build and lead a team of climate, energy transition investing, and sustainability experts with operational experience in climate, low carbon technology options, and sustainable supply chain & life cycle decarbonization expertise.
The ideal candidate will have a track record in decarbonization program implementation, broader post-investment value creation engagements for private markets investors and project delivery for private equity and infrastructure investment, and operating teams, and portfolio company management.
Energy transition investing, experience with setting validated Science Based Targets, decarbonization in infrastructure, private equity and real estate, impact management and measurement, life cycle assessments and Scope 3 abatement programs, supply chain engagement experience working with private markets investors in various sectors is also beneficial.The successful applicants will be expected to:
- Actively develop commercial strategies to pursue and win new business opportunities that result in significant revenue growth with target clients aligned with ERM’s global strategy.
- Lead origination and delivery of our client’s decarbonization projects within ERM’ portfolio company portfolio operations services working alongside our clients’ ESG, climate, investment, operating teams, and portfolio company management teams to help them develop decarbonization & energy transition fund plans & programs, measure and improve against the full suite of climate change metrics & targets, and aggregate performance improvements as part of exit preparation.
- Work with our clients’ ESG, investment, and operating teams and portfolio company senior management to design and execute post-investment decarbonization plans for the hold period for new and existing investments and work with those client teams to ensure completion of objectives laid out in the context of their broader portfolio and firm-level ESG and energy transition goals and internal decarbonization operating capabilities.
- Provide expert insights, guidance and support to clients and portfolio company management on how to translate decarbonization initiatives and projects into broader business practices and business models to ensure long-term sustainable business value creation.
- Build and manage a high-performance team, serve as a leader and mentor to consultants.
- Identify emerging talent and work with them to reach their full potential; ensure rising stars are nurtured, developed and given new areas of responsibility.
- Lead ERM project teams that develop repeatable processes, frameworks, toolkits, assessment scorecards and other materials for our clients and support their deployment and operationalization across portfolio companies based upon company maturity and decarbonization potential.
- Lead energy transition and climate-focused due diligence projects throughout the diligence lifecycle on key ESG & low carbon economy drivers to increase value and reduce risks from an operational perspective. and provide recommendations for post-investment decarbonization initiatives.
Knowledge of TCFD, SBTi, ULI Greenprint, LEED & BREEAM certification, TCFD and GHG protocol standards along with IRIS+, The Impact Management Project, and the Operating Principles for Impact Management is a plus.For the Consulting Director position, we anticipate the annual base pay of $129,021 - $166,500. An employee’s pay position within this range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, shift, travel requirements, sales or revenue-based metrics, and business or organizational needs. We also may have instances where employee’s fall outside of the range based on the factors noted above. This job is also eligible for bonus pay.
Who We Are:
As the largest global pure play sustainability consultancy, we partner with the world’s leading organizations, creating innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and unlocking commercial opportunities that meet the needs of today while preserving opportunity for future generations.
At ERM we know that creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment is an essential part of making our company a great place to build a career. We also see our diversity as a strength that helps us create better solutions for our clients. Our diverse team of world-class experts supports clients across the breadth of their organizations to operationalize sustainability, underpinned by our deep technical expertise in addressing their environmental, health, safety, risk and social issues. We call this capability our “boots to boardroom” approach for its comprehensive service model that allows ERM to develop strategic and technical solutions that advance objectives on the ground or at the executive level.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!