Green Street seeks highly motivated candidates with relevant work experience and superior academic credentials to join its research team. Specifically, Green Street offers the unique opportunity to build a career in commercial real estate research as part of a highly respected, experienced and acclaimed research team. The firm’s research teams typically focus by industry sector (e.g., residential, office, hotels) or functional role (e.g., ESG). This role, while focused on ESG, will provide exposure to other areas of research including equity research, commercial real estate valuation, and market-level research. Each sector team is typically headed by a Senior Analyst or Managing Director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct research on a variety of ESG topics within commercial real estate, including regulations, energy costs, other macro topics
- Translating ESG research to property, company, and sector-level valuation frameworks and risk analysis
- Preparing and maintaining detailed financial models/valuation, projections, and databases
- Applying sound understanding and use of finance and valuation techniques
- Supporting a Managing Director in preparing and publishing a wide range of research reports
- Writing first drafts of Quick Takes and portions of some research reports
- Understanding the implications and impact of news events and economic forces on commercial real estate and REITs from an ESG perspective
- Learning how to value a number of global REITs using a combination of quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Becoming a proactive written and verbal communicator with the Commercial team (ability to interpret economic releases, private market activity, and news)
- Participating in calls and meetings with US and European REIT management teams, institutional investors, and private-market contacts to build relationships and develop research ideas
- Demonstrating resourcefulness by seeking out new and creative sources of information
- Developing knowledge of ESG in CRE and Green Street’s overall research framework
- Ad-hoc and administrative tasked as needed
In addition to a strong work ethic and motivation to learn, the Research Associate position requires the following skills: meticulous attention to detail, strong financial modeling, valuation skills and research skills, developing communication (both written and verbal) skills, a high level of organization, creativity, intellectual curiosity, resourcefulness, and an ability to work independently and multi-task. Strong analytical skills and a background in finance are required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree with high distinction in finance, accounting, real estate, economics, or a related field from a well-recognized school
- 1-3 years of experience in conducting financial/economic research, publicly traded real estate securities, general securities, and capital markets
- Interest in pursuing the CFA designation
- Strong working knowledge of financial statements and Microsoft Excel
- The ability to multi-task effectively while maintaining accuracy
- Candidate must be currently authorized to work in the United States without future sponsorship required
- This position is a hybrid position with required time spent working in the office and the rest of the time can be spent working from home
Working Conditions: The Research Associate will work indoors in an air-conditioned office building and must be able to remain stationary at a desk and computer for a majority of the day.
Travel Percentage: <5%
Green Street provides preeminent and actionable commercial real estate research, news, data, analytics, and advisory services in the U.S. and Europe. For more than 35 years, Green Street has delivered unparalleled intelligence and trusted data on the public and private real estate markets, helping investors, banks, lenders, and other industry participants optimize investment and strategic decisions. The firm delivers exclusive market information, conclusion-driven insights, and predictive analytics through a SaaS platform.
The success of Green Street is directly attributable to the strength of our people. We attract high-quality applicants due to our reputation for excellence and our commitment to train and retain talent. Our collaborative work environment provides team members with opportunities to develop professionally and play a central role from day one. At Green Street, we are all about providing unique insights. A diverse and inclusive work environment where top talent can thrive, think freely and offer different perspectives makes our insights even stronger. We’re building a company culture where differences in gender, race, age, religion, ethnicity, identity, physical ability and perspectives are celebrated and valued.
Green Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Green Street does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
The company is headquartered in Newport Beach with offices in New Jersey, New York and London. To learn more, please visit www.greenstreet.com.
$90K - $125K