Your team responsibilities
As ESG Ratings Director, you will be part of senior leadership, responsible for managing a team of analysts maintaining ESG ratings on over 10,000 issuers. You will support the delivery of MSCI’s strategic priorities within ESG: sharpen the focus on its engagement with issuers and investors and continue to build on and enhance MSCI’s market leading position in ESG ratings. In addition, you will interact with investors, issuers and other intermediaries to ensure that the team meets these stated objectives, contribute to thought leadership in MSCI’s ESG Rating methodology and collaborate with colleagues across multiple geographies and teams to deliver a consistent global approach to ESG ratings.
On this highly visible role, you will have the opportunity to play a pivotal role in developing MSCI’s franchise in ESG in a dynamic market. As such, we’re searching for an individual who is decisive, pragmatic, strategic, an effective change agent who is able to garner extensive internal and external credibility.
What we offer you
- At MSCI we are passionate about what we do, and we are inspired by our purpose – to power better investment decisions. You’ll be part of an industry-leading network of creative, curious, and entrepreneurial pioneers. This is a space where you can challenge yourself, set new standards and perform beyond expectations for yourself, our clients, and our industry.
- Wherever you are located you will find transparent compensation schemes and employee benefits that can help ensure your financial security and health. While they vary by different locations, we offer a broad range of benefits that are part of the value you receive as an MSCI employee.
- Our flexible ways of working will allow you to maximize your potential, and we will empower you with the trust, accountability, and advanced technology to perform at your very best.
- You’ll find a purposeful approach to wellbeing to provide you with all the resources you need to be your best at work and in your personal life. Our ‘Here For You’ Employee Assistance Program is available for our employees globally, providing confidential emotional support, financial and legal advice free of charge.
Your key responsibilities
- Manage ESG analysis of the assigned industry portfolios, ensuring quality, timeliness and credibility if MSCI’s ESG rating. Manage the ratings process effectively, including by leading rating committees. Ensure that policies and procedures and best practices are always consistently applied.
- Lead outreach efforts and participate in meetings with issuers, intermediaries, and investors. Convey our opinion with transparency and robust analysis.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the assigned industry sectors, and take thought leadership initiatives to enhance our analytics and focus on high quality market engagement.
- Build and maintain high quality relationships with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide mentoring and coaching for best practices for internal and external meetings.
- Be involved in hiring, developing and motivating team members, working closely with HR as appropriate.
- Harmonize analytical approaches, implement new policies & procedures, and proactively drive process improvements in close cooperation with internal stakeholders.
- Undertake and coordinate ad hoc projects to advance MSCI’s ESG franchise and support global and regional management priorities.
Your skills and experience that will help you excel
- 10+ years of experience within ESG, or credit, ratings (or similar).
- Strong analytical skills and thought leadership.
- Proven background in rating processes and procedures (committee processes, analyst responsibilities, ratings criteria/methodologies, regulatory framework).
- Prior experience in engaging on ratings with issuers, investors, advisors in addition to internal stakeholders.
- Ability to manage and motivate a globally distributed team, set, and achieve objectives.
- Fluent communication skills in English.
How we’ll support you
- Our culture of high performance and innovation relies on our people sharing their knowledge and lifting each other up. You’ll be surrounded by a collaborative, global network of talented colleagues who will support and inspire you to do the best work of your career.
- We believe new and challenging experiences drive personal growth and innovation. With the right challenges, encouragement, and development support you can shape your own career experience. Career paths are multi-directional, and we encourage and support internal mobility to help you identify new opportunities to progress and take control of your future.
- As a new joiner you’ll be enrolled on our Global Orientation interactive learning experience to set you up for success.
- Our tailored learning opportunities will enable you to acquire the skills you need at your own pace, choosing between the courses and certifications best suited to you. Our Learning@MSCI platform coupled with access to LinkedIn Learning Pro will provide you with all the resources you need for to accelerate your professional growth.
- At MSCI we act in ways that encourage respect for all voices, ensuring that everyone can be themselves and feel like they are a part of the company. We are intentional about ensuring that everyone is treated fairly and supported with equal opportunities to succeed.
- We have eight MSCI Employee Resource Groups: All Abilities, Asian Support Network, Black Leadership Network, Climate Action Network, Hola! MSCI, Pride & Allies, Women in Tech, and Women’s Leadership Forum.
MSCI is a leading provider of critical decision support tools and services for the global investment community. With over 50 years of expertise in research, data, and technology, we power better investment decisions by enabling clients to understand and analyze key drivers of risk and return and confidently build more effective portfolios. We create industry-leading research-enhanced solutions that clients use to gain insight into and improve transparency across the investment process.
To all recruitment agencies
MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location, or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected parental leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. MSCI is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please email Disability.Assistance@msci.com and indicate the specifics of the assistance needed. Please note, this e-mail is intended only for individuals who are requesting a reasonable workplace accommodation; it is not intended for other inquiries.
Note on recruitment scams
We are aware of recruitment scams where fraudsters impersonating MSCI personnel may try and elicit personal information from job seekers. Read our full note on our careers site