Charles Stanley is seeking to enhance and expand its responsible investment research and implementation functionality. With this comes the need for a manager to take the lead in further developing and articulating the core tenets of the Responsible Investment Policy.
Given the increasing focus and appropriate risk and portfolio management requirements, there is a need to add to our existing resources in the form of a full-time dedicated resource to drive these projects forward and own the operational capabilities from the centralised research team.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Manage and oversee the Responsible Investing (ESG) research team. Activities include:
- Leading the key ESG investigation, integration, and analysis initiatives regarding all facets of portfolio construction.
- Determine key external research providers and recommendations for portfolio management tools, including monitoring and reporting.
- Develop the sustainable investment classification for equities, fixed income and collectives with the wider research team, improving awareness of Responsible Investing.
- Thought leadership with regards to research reports, market development understanding and reporting.
- Stewardship: Engagement and voting governance and process recommendations including direction and oversight.
- External reporting management and oversight in relevant areas, i.e. UN PRI membership ensuring annual reporting, yearly improvement and utilisation of resources.
- Encourage and drive the understanding and positioning of the wealth management industry in the context of completing submissions.
- Key input into the Responsible Investing strategies across the Group.
- Oversight of Responsible and Sustainable Investing evolution.
- Long term target to develop Sustainable investment portfolio solutions for the internal investment network, including contributing to portfolio construction methodology and process.
- Collaborate across business areas to develop and improve ESG related processes. Examples include the writing and ownership of responsible investment policies and related documents / project work.
- Lead education across business areas on portfolio implementation, providing collateral to sales team and front office staff around key ESG characteristics.
- Act as spokesperson for Charles Stanley on all things ESG and Responsible Investing.
- Coordinate and have input into collaboration efforts for Charles Stanley corporate sustainability initiatives as well as engagement with the wider Raymond James group.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Professional industry qualifications (CFA, CFA Certificate in ESG Investing and / or Climate Investing, CISI Chartered, etc.).
- Alternatively relevant academic qualification (MSc Sustainable Finance etc.).
- Direct and relevant experience working in ESG / Responsible Investing, including in a consulting capacity.
- Industry recognition in ESG, Responsible, or Sustainable Investing (preferred).
- Experience in / knowledge of UK wealth management industry (preferred).
- Experience in developing proprietary / in house ESG processes.
- Line management experience of individuals and teams.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Detailed knowledge of ESG and sustainability credentials. Ability to distinguish and articulate thinking across the Responsible Investing spectrum.
- Experience in policy writing and development of ESG strategy at senior management level.
- Knowledge and experience of PRI and other industry bodies, including collaborative forums and strategic ESG providers (MSCI, Sustainalytics, CDP, etc.).
- Knowledge of key regulatory driving forces in ESG / sustainability.
- ESG specialist knowledge (climate, governance, social, regulatory) useful.
- Strong understanding of all market instruments – equities, fixed income, collectives, etc.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and manage projects and delegate work-streams essential.
- Highly collaborative with a commitment to developing solutions across multiple business areas.
- Excellent research report writing skills.
- Motivated and passionate self-starter.
- Team player committed to the overall development and success of the Research team.
- Excellent client-facing skills.