We are looking for a highly experienced Sustainability or ESG Consultant to be responsible for ESG projects and clients, both through their own portfolio of projects and supporting growth through collaboration with other project principals within the region. This individual can be based in any of our US office locations.
This will be achieved through:
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with key clients to win work
- Lead the delivery of each project, engaging with both the client and the project delivery team to ensure quality standards and client expectations are met
- Drive competitive advantage by understanding and influencing global trends related to our industry, sector, customers, technology markets, and competitors
- Position Buro Happold as a thought leader and strong player in the advisory and ESG service and the sectors we participate
- Lead by example to embed a culture that is collaborative, client-centric, consulting-centric and commercially focused.
Further responsibilities will include:
Client Relationships and Work Winning
- Develop an overall ESG Strategic Plan that is aligned with the US Region’s Strategy to 2027
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities, determining project viability with respect of profitability and alignment to the firm’s strategy. Lead and support project pursuits, including developing proposals and preparing for and attending interviews for new work, ensuring that win targets for new and recurring business are achieved
- Lead and attend a select events and conferences to ensure that the external profile of the practice is enhanced. This should be coordinated with the Business Development team, RDL and regional leadership.
- Support other areas of Buro Happold by increasing client and sector understanding for our client account teams and support the winning and delivering of engineering work
Work Delivery and Operations
- Work with the relevant Regional Group Directors to ensure that projects are resourced effectively and that the structure of project teams for new projects takes account of all capabilities available
- Create Advisory and ESG consulting standards for US business, project delivery and internal training. Oversee the rollout and encourage the best use of internal performance management tools.
Finance and Commercial
- Lead the growth in revenue and profit for ESG service offer
- Ensure the required financial performance targets are achieved on all projects, actively managing resources, cash flow, profit and capital lock-up.
- In conjunction with the operations team, interact in contractual and fee negotiations to achieve best outcome for the company, operating as final stage of dispute resolution where necessary and authorized to do so
- Provide commercial leadership and mentorship to project teams, offering advice and guidance to Project Directors and Leaders through regular project meetings.
- Mentor and coach Project Directors and Project Leaders with the professional guidance they need to
- sustain high levels of performance and support their career development.
- Give team members the autonomy and authority to determine how to best complete their work
- Hold project teams accountable for delivering high quality and profitable work
- Coordinate with the Global lead for sustainability and look for ways to continue US leadership in this area.
- Work with the Sustainability team RDL and US Sustainable Practice Leaders on tactical planning to support the US strategy.
- Accurately articulate gaps and areas for development to ensure leadership pipeline and succession are addressed
- Lead by example to embed a culture that is collaborative, client-centric, innovative, and commercially focused
Collaboration and Communication
- The main internal contacts of the post will be the US Managing Director for strategy, the US Partner group for multi-disciplinary working, and regional and discipline directors for project delivery and work winning
- Creates an environment in which understanding and addressing clients and project team needs are top priority
- Provide a ‘big-picture’ view of their work to team members so they can make decisions that are aligned with project and company objectives
- Build collaborative relationships with other Partners and Regional Directors to encourage cooperation and a multi-discipline approach
- Successfully works with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Improve performance by incorporating the input and ideas of others.
- Simplifies complexity, translating and clarifying financial plans with constructive dialogue, participative decisions, explicit actions, and driving high performing projects.
Reporting will be either to the Managing Director or Lead Advisory Partner on project portfolio performance and strategy.
What we offer:
- Salary range of $250,000 - $325,000. This will be determined based on factors such as geographic location, skills, education, and/or experience
- Equity in the Firm
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Generous benefits package
- Generous PTO in addition to 10 paid holidays
- 401k with company match
- Hybrid working & summer hours
- Reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity, we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Inspired? Intrigued? Interested? Join us to find out what you're capable of!