- Bachelor’s Degree; advanced degree in finance, business, or economics preferred
- Minimum of five (5) years of investment, consulting, or corporate engagement experience with a preference for some related experience around ESG, Climate, and / or Impact investing
- Demonstrated passion for sustainability, with a strong interest in influencing change at the asset manager and corporation level through investment strategies
- Entrepreneurial self-starter that can work both autonomously and thrive in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well versed in ESG and Net-Zero goals and their implications on investment strategies
- Strong willingness to learn and ability to respond positively to feedback
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF), with over $20 billion of assets under management, is seeking an experienced investment practitioner to assist its ESG Team with an array of tasks including ESG research and analysis, engagement, and investment solutions. This is an opportunity to engage with a broad range of companies and investors globally on behalf of an asset owner that is intentional about sustainable investing. The position reports to the Head of ESG and Sustainable Investing and sits within the office of the Chief Investment Officer. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Conduct research across several asset classes and sectors to identify investment risks and opportunities related to ESG factors;
- Analyze investment opportunities and risks related to ESG investing strategies and products;
- Shape NYSIF’s ESG Governance structure in accordance with external governance guidelines;
- Contribute to NYSIF’s ESG education across the Investment Department and develop ESG curriculum for continued department learning;
- Produce valuable insights to guide ESG integration internally and with external managers;
- Collaborate with external partners, including proxy advisory vendors, engagement projects and other institutional asset owners;
- Help to develop portfolio-level strategies for ESG engagement across a broad spectrum of asset classes and sectors;
- Develop an engagement letter-writing process;
- Draft content for internal and external communications and publishable material.
- Competitive Compensation
- Future Career Growth Potential
- Open and Supportive Team-Based Environment
- Vacation, Personal, and Sick Leave Accruals
- Paid State and Federal Holidays
- Full Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Retirement Options
- Possibility of Telecommuting, Flextime, and Alternative Work Schedules
Please note, the targeted income range for this position is $150,000 to $175,000, based upon the candidate’s individual experience. NYSIF does not offer bonus programs as part of our compensation program. The Civil Service title for this position is Special Investment Officer.
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF's mission is to guarantee the availability of workers’ compensation insurance at the lowest possible cost to New York employers and to provide timely, appropriate indemnity and medical payments to injured workers, while maintaining a solvent fund. Since inception, NYSIF has fulfilled the dual roles for which it was created: to compete with other carriers to ensure a fair marketplace and to be a guaranteed source of coverage for employers who cannot secure coverage elsewhere.
NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation carrier in New York State and among the top 10 largest workers’ compensation carriers in the nation, insuring approximately 139,000 policyholders, with more than $1.8 billion in annual earned premium and over $22 billion in assets. A self-supporting insurance carrier, NYSIF operates without taxpayer funding.
In addition to workers’ compensation insurance, NYSIF provides disability benefits coverage for off-the-job injuries to more than 56,000 New York employers. In 2018, NYSIF added paid family leave as a component of its disability benefits product, providing New Yorkers with job-protected, paid time away from work to care for their families.
NYSIF Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) prioritizes and champions diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) throughout our agency. NYSIF provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state, and local law. We believe that embracing our differences brings richness, new ideas and experiences to NYSIF, which energizes a creative and innovative work environment. We strive to foster a workplace where diverse individuals are able to participate fully in the decision-making process and have ample opportunity for advancement. We are committed to investing the necessary resources and attention to improving the engagement, retention, and promotion of the extraordinary talent we have.