The Group: Morningstar’s Quantitative Research Group creates independent investment research and data-driven analytics designed to help investors and Morningstar achieve better outcomes by making informed decisions. We utilize statistical rigor, large data sets, and Morningstar platforms to inform the methodologies we develop. Our research encompasses hundreds of thousands of securities within a large breadth of asset classes including equities, fixed income, structured credit, and funds. Morningstar is a leading independent source of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company and essential to the firm’s mission to empower investor success.
The Role: As Manager for the Media Data Service, you will lead the program that provides Morningstar’s independent data and analysis to members of the media to support storytelling that advances investor advocacy and informed decision-making. You will be a highly visible representative of the quantitative research team and represent Morningstar’s research, products, and data publicly to external clients and media. You will work closely with the Corporate Communications team and the media on data-driven research requests and manage a small team of analysts in time zones around the globe to support journalists with personalized, real-time support for their work.
A successful candidate will have impeccable interpersonal and communications skills, a solid quantitative mindset, a strong understanding of finance, particularly ESG and its emerging datasets, and a deep knowledge of the global investing landscape.
Thanks to Morningstar’s breadth and quality of independent data and strong reputation as a reliable source of information, Morningstar receives a high volume of inbound requests from members of the media for data, education, and commentary. Members of the media are often demanding and operate on same-day or otherwise very short timelines. This role must be adept at prioritizing requests, maintaining a calm demeanor under pressure, and keeping a high commitment to quality even during times of particularly high volumes of requests.
This position is based in Morningstar’s London office.
- Raise Morningstar’s ESG Share of Voice – Become the leading expert in Morningstar’s ESG data and ratings so you can educate members of the media and advance their inclusion among mainstream, financial, and trade media coverage globally. Grow the volume of mentions of Morningstar’s ESG data (primarily from Morningstar Sustainalytics) in the media.
- “Driven by Data” Events and Promotion – Partner with the Corporate Communications team to plan and execute regular “Driven by Data” events that use timely events to demonstrate Morningstar Direct’s data and capabilities that support journalist storytelling. Actively promote the availability of the media data service to members of the media globally to drive an increase in global media requests for Morningstar’s data and insights.
- People Management – You will manage a team of analysts. As a manager and mentor, you will be expected to adopt an "iron sharpens iron" attitude where the focus is on making everyone better. This means not focusing on your colleagues' shortcomings but recognizing their strengths. Respect is foundational; we’re focused on pulling people up. Developing the skills of team members and positioning them for success is critical.
- Data Expertise Across a Variety of Domains – Become the “go to” source reporters rely on for asking questions about Morningstar data, interpreting its meaning and relevance to particular topics, and determining appropriate uses. This includes but is not limited to managed products, fixed income, equities, and portfolios.
- Landscape Intelligence – Keep pace with trends in the financial industry, specifically focusing on the ESG space. Stay up to date on breaking news and make connections to those events with Morningstar’s data and Morningstar Direct functionality.
- Program and Project Management – Use and advocate for Agile project management practices to track projects, coordinate with internal groups, and resolve conflicts. Build and manage scalable systems and documentation to support the onboarding and day-to-day work of supporting a growing volume of media requests with high-quality and timely responses.
- A bachelor’s degree in the quantitative or financial discipline (Masters or higher is desirable)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in finance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and good judgment in ensuring the accuracy and appropriateness of responses for media consumption
- Proficient with querying data out of SQL
- Experience with Morningstar’s mutual fund, fixed income, ESG, and equity databases as well as high proficiency in Morningstar Direct
- The ability to stay organized and to quickly and efficiently handle multiple projects at the same time is crucial in this role; works well under pressure and tight timelines
- Creative thinker with the ability to solve problems
301_MstarEurLtd Morningstar Europe Ltd (UK) Legal Entity
Morningstar’s hybrid work environment gives you the opportunity to work remotely and collaborate in-person each week. We’ve found that we’re at our best when we’re purposely together on a regular basis, at least three days each week. A range of other benefits are also available to enhance flexibility as needs change. No matter where you are, you’ll have tools and resources to engage meaningfully with your global colleagues.