Founded in 1984, Onex manages and invests capital on behalf of its shareholders, institutional investors and high net worth clients from around the world. Onex’ platforms include: Onex Partners, private equity funds focused on mid- to large-cap opportunities in North America and Western Europe; ONCAP, private equity funds focused on middle market and smaller opportunities in North America; Onex Credit, which manages primarily non-investment grade debt through tradeable, private and opportunistic credit strategies as well as actively managed public equity and public credit funds; and Gluskin Sheff’s wealth management services. With offices in Toronto, New York, New Jersey, Boston and London, Onex and its experienced management teams are collectively the largest investors across Onex’ platforms.
Reporting to the Director, Finance based in Toronto, Onex is seeking to hire a Senior Associate to join the Finance team. The Senior Associate will play an important role in supporting the fund manager team with accounting and reporting both internally and externally.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
• Support the Fund Manager group by ensuring that accounting records are accurate, complete, and timely
• Perform daily accounting tasks, including preparing and entering journal entries, banking wires, and coding invoices in accordance with private equities’ LPAs
• Monthly reconciliations of cash, accounts receivable and intercompany balances
• Preparing billings and communicate invoicing matters with deal team and/or third-party operating companies
• Prepare quarter end reporting lead sheets and working papers for consolidated public financial reporting
• Assist Financial Reporting team with public financial statement notes and MD&A preparation
• Support the completion of various projects within the Corporate Finance team (NAV upgrade)
• Ad hoc tasks as required
WHAT YOU BRING:
• University degree in accounting, finance, or business
• Professional Accounting Designation or working towards (CPA)
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience relating to areas such as:
o reconciling general ledger accounts and preparing lead sheets
o billings to third party operating companies and internal entities
o analyzing income statement accounts and explaining and documenting variances
• Strong business acumen and work ethic with the desire, ability, and curiosity to think strategically to navigate competing issues and improve current processes
• Strong communication skills and the ability to work proactively to complete tasks within tight deadlines
• High level of professionalism and maturity along with strong interpersonal skills
• Ownership of work and desire to take tasks to the next level
• Attention to detail and excellent communication skills necessary
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
• Judgment and Flexibility: Thinks about issues and develops solutions that thoughtfully take the broader context into account. Positively deals with a shifting demand for time, priorities, and the rapid change of your environment
• Ownership and Initiative: Takes ownership for and “rolls up sleeves” to meet objectives
• Excellence: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Ensures quality and demonstrate a strong attention to detail and follow-through. Commits to implementing best practices and continuous improvement
• Presentation: Clearly and confidently communicates and presents concepts, analysis, ideas, and information internally and externally
• Presence and self-confidence to interface with the key constituents of the firm including process owners, senior executives, and other stakeholders
• A pattern of excellence, both personally and professionally, demonstrated by the individual’s education, career track record, intellect, and professional reputation
• A high standard of integrity and ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
• Self-awareness, maturity, irreproachable integrity
• A strong work ethic and seeks to complete work effectively and efficiently
Our team & Commitment:
Onex is led by our CEO, Bobby Le Blanc, as well as experienced leaders at each of our businesses. We have over 170 investment professionals across all platforms, supported by approximately 265 professionals dedicated to our corporate functions and investment platforms, including our institutional and high net worth relationship professionals. Consistent with our One Onex approach, the teams share and leverage sector expertise, and sourcing and origination opportunities across all business lines.
Our culture is guided by our strong commitment to accountability, intellectual honesty, and respect for all our
partners and stakeholders. Onex was formed on principles of entrepreneurialism and responsible investing and
our team is united in recognizing the value of collaboration, diversity of perspective and background, and an
inclusive environment. Our team is a critical factor in our success, and attracting and retaining the best people
and strongest investors are an important competitive advantage.
Also crucial to our long-term success is the alignment of interests between the Onex management team, shareholders, and clients. Members of our management team have a significant long-term ownership in Onex shares and invest meaningfully in our funds. We believe this alignment creates stronger relationships with both clients and shareholders.
Diversity Equity & Inclusion:
Onex recognizes that a diverse team and inclusive environment are vital in contributing to our continued success as an investor and asset manager. We believe that diverse perspectives create better outcomes for us and our stakeholders, including the companies we invest in, our shareholders, investors, and clients, as well as the communities we serve.
Onex’ commitment to diversity and inclusion includes increasing our focus on attracting and retaining employees from diverse backgrounds, creating additional awareness of diversity issues and benefits, fostering and inspiring a more supportive environment where inclusivity is expected and prioritized, and embedding accountability for diversity throughout the firm.
Onex’ Diversity & Inclusion Leadership Council, which is co-chaired by our President and our Head of Shareholder Relations and Communications, includes representation from across all business platforms and geographies. The Council is responsible for championing diversity and inclusion across the firm, including supporting the development and success of Onex’ employee resource groups.
Environmental, Social & Governance:
As a public company, we are committed to delivering value for all of our stakeholders – our shareholders, investors, employees, operating companies, and the communities in which we operate. Responsible governance throughout Onex and across our platforms is fundamental to the success of our organization. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of good governance, which builds trust and confidence in our stewardship of capital.
Consistent with our long-held belief that responsible investing is both the right approach to investing, as well as a driver of meaningful stakeholder value, we continue to make enhancements to our environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) program. Recent initiatives include the addition of resources to our ESG team and progress on our efforts to measure carbon emissions across Onex and our investment platforms. To remain aligned with emerging best practices, we participate in several industry initiatives, including the ESG Data Convergence Initiative, Initiative Climat International (“iCI”), the Principles for Responsible Investment (“PRI”), the IFRS Sustainability Alliance and FCLT Global, among others. We expect our program to continue to expand in line with this rapidly evolving area, while remaining rooted in our founding principle of responsible investing.
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada